The Remains of the Milton Speedway

I’ll be honest, there isn’t much information on this ghost track, but I’ll tell you what I do know.  This was a dedicated dragstrip located in Milton, Vermont and operated from the 1960s to early 1980s. This was and has been the only known dragstrip in the entire state of Vermont and had seen many many cars.  The track is a half mile long and was sanctioned by NASCAR.  The Milton Speedway was no doubt a hit back then with the famous NHRA Shirley Muldowney raced her first husband Jack with a super stock car a few times, but can’t confirm if she has ever raced her dragster or not.

The track has a lot of history and I had the opportunity to walk down the old track or at least what is left of it and captured some pictures of the old but not forgotten, Milton Speedway.

Lets start out with some pictures of what the track originally looked like.

Milton Speedway

The strip from an aerial shot.  By the looks of it, photo probably wasn’t taken very long before the track closed.

Lag3

A picture probably taken in late 1960s of a drag car launching for a run down the 1/2 mile track.

Lag2

Two drag cars competing at the Milton Speedway sometime in the late 1960s

Here’s a video of drag racing in action.

What remains today

10505165_10204800110908876_5737937022574257365_o

You can easily make out the old track cutting through the vegetation where nature is reclaiming.

10557188_10204800110948877_8293545868190343246_n

I tried to match up the old black & white aerial photograph to give you an idea of how much has changed over the years.  Its still amazing how much still actually remains.

Check out some of the pictures I took of the old Milton Speedway.  I was even able to find some original paint markings on the track that were probably preserved from trees protecting it from the rain.

It really is amazing how much nature has taken over.

7 Comments

1. jeff boutilier February 6, 2017 at 7:21 am

I went to the strip many times as a kid and used to love, “The Shaker”. The word was that it closed because it needed more room to extend the track so that the cars which were getting faster had more time to slow down at the end. Apparently they could not come to terms with the person whole owned that property. Sad loss.

1. Alan Boutilier February 6, 2017 at 8:02 am

Remember Jack du Bruhl’s jet powered go cart?

2. Jeff Sefranek June 22, 2016 at 3:51 pm

The two pictures of the cars racing were taken in ’63 – ’65 by Jerry and Maria Sefranek. The car doing the wheelie is the same car in both shots. After class competition the driver would load some weight into the trunk and perform as a wheelstander as well which is what the first photo is.

3. Ed Terrill , May 2, 2016 at 11:47 pm

I’m believe the Milton dragstrip opened in or around 1962 and closed around 1968. For a few years it was very active. I did go many times when it was a student at uvm. It always remember that black 63 Galaxie 427 dual 4bbl 4 spd.great driver. Always cleaned up on that 426 dodge hemi automatic as long as hi did not miss a shift. Bring back the 60s.they were fun times

4. Ed Terrill , April 30, 2016 at 9:31 pm

I’m went to uvm in the early 60s and took my dad’s 1964 mercury fastback with a 390 calif police interceptor motor to the Milton dragstrip. Came home with a big trophy.in loved drag racing hack then track had a lot of action back in early 6os. Always loved that 63 black Galaxie that whipped the Mopar 426 hemi every wend. That ford driver knew how to speed shift Tha 427 dual 4bbl quad. I’m am 72 now. Hope that driver is still kicking. Eddie t from Canada.

5. Nicholas Erwin February 9, 2016 at 6:07 pm

Hi Tiana. I’m not exactly sure why it closed but I have a theory. After Catamount stadium was closed, I think the dragstrip saw less and less cars and eventually they couldn’t afford to keep it open and closed it.

I’d love to see a new dragstrip open in Vermont…but people around here like to complain about noise so it will probably never happen. Epping, NH is a good 3 hour drive, but when you see cars go by at 300+MPH, its well worth it.

6. Kip July 8, 2015 at 10:12 pm

Reopen the track!…I’m sure Milton would love the extra income generated!